Education plays a fundamental role in life for everyone. Education is all about our overall personality, behaviour, mindset and way of living.
The biggest drawback of our education system is lack of skill-based education, resulting it produces a lot of unemployable youth every year, a youth holding degree but no employment.
Our education system is all about on good marks even sometimes good marks holder is not getting a relevant job. The education system forces the burden of bookish education. Lack of vocational education can be seen.
The new National Education Policy is said to be a replacement of the existing educational policy. The main focus of this new education policy is to vanish the fear and burden of the students and make them independent. The new education policy is combined UGC, AICTE and NCTE in one regulatory body. This one regulatory body is for higher education also except legal and medical education.
The main considerations of NEP(National Educational Policy) 2020 I will discuss in brief -:
National Educational Policy at School level
1. The new education policy is to cover the children of the age of 3 to 18. Earlier it was 5 years onwards only. It will reduce the load of educational burden and this is the biggest goal of the new education policy.
2. Earlier the educational structure was 10+2. Now it is replaced with the structure of 5+3+3+4
It will reduce the burden of children.
3. Fear of board exams will be kept low. Every year many children come under depression and many commits suicide because of the fear of board exams. New education policy will reduce that fear from children.
Board exams can be taken twice in a year. One is the main examination and one for improvement.
4. Mother tongue, local language or regional language will be the medium of instruction up to class 5. It will increase the value of mother tongue as now schools don’t focus on that. I think every Indian where ever he lives he should speak and write the mother tongue. According to new education policy schools have the right to choose which language they want till class fifth.
5. The new education policy gives the students Freedom of Choice. The students have the choice of mixing subjects like they can combined arts subjects with science in senior college and college is also now possible.
6. Vocational education is set to be compulsory at school level and higher education also. By this students have a clear vision about their future.
7. Self-assessment is included in the report card. A new assessment centre will be set up. Students assessment will be set up on the basis of
PAREKH-Performance, Assessment, Review and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development.
National Education Policy 2020 at college Level
1. Now students can have a choice of 3 or 4-year duration for their undergraduate degree.
2. A diploma after completing one year or advanced diploma for completing 2 years of education.
3. The bachelor’s degree will continue to be awarded to students completing the prescribed tenure (3 years/4 years) of the course.
4. Degree Colleges will grant autonomous degree while driven research-intensive Universities to Teaching-intensive Universities.
5. A common nationwide entrance exam will be conducted for all universities for admissions in the 2022 academic session.
6. A monitoring system will be developed having a circle of retired professors to provide professional support to universities in regional languages.
7. NEP 2020 aims to increase the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education from 26.3% (2018) to 50% by 2035. Public sector contribution will be raised in the higher education system.
8. Under new education policy, vocational knowledge would be developed through education, in the form of ‘Lok Vidhya’.
By using technology National Educational Technology Forum (NETF) will be created to provide a platform for the free exchange of ideas on the use of technology to enhance learning, assessment, planning, and administration.
–For value creation in an education system which holds the academic credits, earned by students, An Academic Bank of Credit (ABC) shall be established. These credits would be enhanced as part of final degree. These credits shall be earned by various participations through the study.
Hopefully, these Reformation might help students to grow their ability to understand their knowledge and skills as part of their education itself.